Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mid-Week, Extra Post, on re-imaging Appalachia

post #32
      I am posting an extra entry this week because of an approaching May 2 deadline.  (I meant to have this discussion earlier this month, but there were all those flowers to share....)
     The Appalachian Center at the University of Kentucky is running a contest to locate a fresh take on images that describe or signal Appalachia.  No banjos or coal miners need be submitted.  And while my body of work consists of a multitude of images from this area, that doesn't mean that a single image screams Appalachia.  My mules-plowing-the-tobacco photos were taken because the occasion was unusual, not because it represents anything.   (It was, simply, exhilarating to be there with my camera!  All those greens, the rounded mule rumps, and the straight rows of dark, moist earth!)
     There is no fee to enter this contest though there are money prizes.  But each photographer is limited to THREE photos!   This is where I'd appreciate your help.
#2 - big wheel
#1 - mountaintop removal mining

I plan to submit big wheel and my mountaintop removal photo.  And one of the following -- 1, 2, 3, or 4.  Please let me know if one of the images below OR another of my images speak to you for this purpose. Thanks!



      Actually, on Tuesday my monthly writers group came up with their clear choice.  Also, so far, I haven't located the guys with the sign so I wouldn't get to use the photo unless someone can identify them by Monday.  But I love the photo.  What can I say.  I have been thinking about all this for weeks and I have no idea how anyone would make a choice for what is Appalachian and what is Anywhere.  I will be interested in the results, and I hope as many people as possible send in their treasures to UK.  We do need to get unstuck about what images come to mind when we think "Appalachia."

No comments:

Post a Comment