Sunday, July 22, 2018

July catch up, and the annual memorial ride for Gary Purnell

post #393
      Hello from our post windstorm Kentucky. Many in the Lexington area lost power, Friday, and it won't be fully restored for another two days. Lots of trees downed. Around where I live, there wasn't damage but there could have been.
      After all these weeks, I haven't yet shared that I have two photos hanging together in the Bluegrass Biennial exhibit at the Art Gallery at Morehead State. It's a juried exhibit for Kentucky artists, every other summer, under the guidance of Jennifer Reis, the Gallery Goddess. (That means, thanks as always, Jennifer, for the excellent work you do!)



        The exhibit continues through August 29; there is a reception for the exhibit that evening 5-7pm. The Gallery is open irregularly because of summer hours (and draconian state budget cuts....) but from 9 - 3:30 weekdays it is open more often than not, in the MSU art building.  



      
        Saturday a week ago was the 4th annual memorial ride to honor Garry Purnell, who loved his horses.  It was pretty hot this year, so the ride began at 9 a.m.  The first photo shows what I saw when I arrived early, in hopes of benefiting from the great light at that time of day for photos. I didn't go on the ride itself because of the heat.  




 early arrival at Jean's house, from my car
 looking back the opposite direction....












I've known Jean since she was in the 7th grade -- she is so kind and remarkable.










Jonathon, the maitre d'







looking from the house over to the former tobacco field

Jonathan's new project -- longhorn cattle -- seen from the house, at a water hole





 Some other recent activities around here, while my daughter and family were gone a week:
with thanks to Melva for her help and friendship, including spoiling these hens
watering plants for my traveling away from here family
working on my photo note cards in the gallery part of my front room


    
surprised by the sky's artistry, once again
       And, last night, my daughter and I met the two traveling grandkids at the airport in Louisville. That flight seemed to end up closing down the airport, since their departure from Denver had been delayed 3 1/2 hours.  The kids seemed totally unfazed by their long day, and this lasted during the whole remaining 2 1/2 hour drive east to home! They are old enough, at 7 and 9, to make the journey on their own.  But it meant we could meet them at the gate. Thank goodness the Starbucks food options were still available before we left the airport. 
       This summer's week of what we call Cousin Camp has begun. Yea!


1 comment:

  1. Hooray for Cousin Camp and bringing it all back home!

    ReplyDelete