Sunday, September 3, 2017

This year's annual 4H competition and sale, in Sandy Hook

post #351
      I was so excited this year to take my granddaughter to her first 4H day that I forgot my camera at the house! I am not proud. So all these photos were taken with my iPhone6s. In the beginning I was able to give T. the phone to take photos with. She may be only 6, but she is an ace. She did do some exploring with it, which was the whole idea. By the time we needed to leave, we were both tired, and I would have been more tired if I was using my big camera. It turns out I was coming down with a cold, which I haven't done for years. This is all very annoying, especially since I can't complain because it happens so rarely....

       Always start an event with a concession hot dog!

     
        Three photos by T.. I think the rabbits were her favorites.







   Sandy introduces T. to two handsome, well groomed goats:





    A small puppy was the center of quite a bit of attention, while we waited for the judge, who was a half hour late....


    Finally, the judging started, first the rabbits and then the hens.


 

       going for a better view of the cages:





   The goat cheat sheet, since the judge was likely to ask about goat parts:
     
          In the ring, with the judge checking her goat -- I don't know what question she got, if any, but she and her sister (on the right) received top prizes.


       This was the last ever competition for Jayla, on the right, since she has graduated from high school and has gone off to college, in Morehead. She later showed a sheep and a big black bull!


           As always, bravo for hard work during the year taking care of the animals. I know T. wants to come another year.  For all of us spectators, it's always fun -- especially when the weather cooperates and it isn't too hot. The left over rains from the hurricane showed up the next day.

1 comment: