Sunday, April 14, 2019

April! Spring! Blossoms! part 1 of 2 or 3!

post #427

        Busy day, complete with severe thunderstorm advisories, and a possible tornado! All is now ending peacefully, though there are still wind episodes.  I do love April, despite the wild weather, and I am so glad I was back where the waterfalls are twice this weekend. So much changes so quickly during this time of year..
        Here are some of the blossoms. Please know that the redbuds along the road and at the house are wondrous this year. These are the scrub trees whose flowers grow directly out of the branches. They are one of the treats that were new to me when we first came to live in this part of the country years ago. There are some early dogwoods at the same time, but, as usual, the redbuds are the most vivid signal that spring is here.

dogwood blossoms


The violets in grassy areas are so abundant this year, perhaps due to all our rain?

Then there is the ancient apple tree near the edge of the woods that never disappoints.



REDBUD TREES
 

















creek detail, en route to the first waterfall

     I sat on the path above the second waterfall so I could look around. Really look.
 
looking to the left

looking to the right

facing the crown of the tree in bloom, with the second waterfall, below and out of view


tree top

Note: the Appalachian forests contain the "highest total amount of endemic flora and fauna species in North America." To me, it is like being surrounded by treasures.

bare limbs by design....

beech tree with moss slippers


Next week, I have wildflowers to share --  so amazing, always, to be surrounded by the beauty of this season. I wonder, though, what are we humans doing to the world which we too easily take for granted.

1 comment:

  1. Nov. 2019 I received a very nice comment from someone called "background remove". I don't know what that means. I am set up to moderate all the comments I might receive, and then I only publish ones that I feel are totally safe. However, if whoever wrote me on the 4th reads this comment, I wanted to say thank you for expressing your appreciation.

    ReplyDelete