Sunday, April 12, 2020

expressing thanks in the moment

post #485
          I give thanks for this lovely spring, for my extended family, for friends, neighbors, my Quaker community, long ago college classmates, and for my curiosity gene and trusting heart. I want to keep things simple today, partly as a way to express those thanks, and partly just because it feels like the proper response to a world having to reexamine itself. 
        Just for the record, I don't think not having a church service -- for the sake of the health of other people -- is a strike against religion. Instead it feels to me like a gesture of solidarity with the human race, making things safer and holier for everyone, assuring there will be less lives lost. In this circumstance, I am very pro-life.

         OK, first a celebration of a favorite tree, the redbud.  This year they have been quite their wondrous selves.  Here are a few recent photos; I have others from earlier years, but that's for another time. They are early harbingers of the fuller spring beauty to come.



along route 504







        I also want to acknowledge the ongoing remarkable response across the nation to the enormous effort happening all around us. Thank you everyone who's working so hard in the face of the Covid19.  This reality is far from finished, and the need for continued patience is huge. I have a subscription to the New Yorker magazine, and I'm sharing last week's cover -- an image that speaks loudly and clearly.  Also thank you everyone who's going along with #SafeAtHome.  It's all about one day at a time.


a TV screen shot from our Governor's daily report, sharing compassion and clarity - again so many of us thank him for his reliable truth telling.

I did go 4 miles from home today for Easter dinner -- I brought my own table, chair, table cloth and silverware!  I enjoyed dining in the carport with my three local family members before returning home. They ate before I came and then sat on the back of the pickup during our short visit.  I SO LOOK FORWARD TO WHEN I CAN HUG MY FAMILY and FRIENDS AGAIN.


T. drew me the hug bug I had requested a few days ago!

A recent moment at my pond, and I do believe there's a fish in it! I also find ripples a vivid reminder of how what we each do goes so far beyond ourselves.  Again, a topic for another time. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ann. I've been thinking about you and family a lot. Especially so after we heard your Governor interviewed by Judy Woodruff last week. Thought about checking into his daily report, but we've got our own reports to heed here in CT! Our two redbuds, one a "street tree" between sidewalk and street, are also in glorious bloom. So glad you're keeping up with this work and blessing.

    ReplyDelete