Sunday, April 26, 2020

this week, while the world swirls

post #487
          A regular week in irregular times -- which doesn't mean there aren't one time only things not happening. (That sentence is sort of a good example of a double negative being positive....)
        We all have to keep records of our day to day life these days if we don't want to have  events to blur together.
       In one unexpected happening, a special apple tree blew over early in the week, in full bloom. It was "always" part of my life in Kentucky, as much as a tree can be. It lived outside the living room window, entertained and sheltered various birds, and dropped apples on the metal roof, sounding like tennis balls thrown against a wall. 

        This photo was made on Easter day because of the laundry on the line, but it ends up being the last photo of the tree, full of blossoms, behind the house. 


 

         The tree blew away from the house.














The trunk's totally worn out. It was an empty shell. Oh the birds it attracted....










the remaining apple tree -- is that a bird? perhaps a love bug?

        This whole time we are observing social distancing.  And it was not the best time of day to get good light before taking a few photos, but since these days (and nights), we are making up our new normal, some imperfection is to be expected.  


local visionary

resident gymnastic cat!

    Back at my house, I now have a few birds, but watching them is not yet the same as it was at my original house (where my daughter and family now live.)  I do have a red-winged blackbird that returns to my little pond every year, including this year.  And the feeder provides me with great pleasure:
.


on the post near the bird feeder

across from where Sideway Road connects with the road along Mauk Ridge



       
          The last three photos are also along Mauk Ridge, as spring takes over all of eastern Kentucky.  I know my current photos may not be as sharp as I would like, but here's the scoop:  I can blame it on the coronavirus, since I was about to have my cataracts removed.  My appointment will happen soon enough, but, I hope, not too soon, not before we are ready and know how best to help these changes happen safely. 
            It's hard doing what we need to do to bring down the virus numbers unless we accept the reality that by not doing anything we are doing a lot.  I tried to show today how ordinary stuff weaves it way into the current major upheavals and anchors me.  
        Some new readers might be visiting this blog, and I say welcome! Two things to know: I have a place for comments, but for some reason it doesn't work for everyone. I have it set up that I review a message before it gets published.  Also I am not reliable about answering a comment.  Sorry.  The other thing is if a reader clicks on an image, while on a laptop or maybe an iPod, all the photos in the post line up along the bottom of the screen, and clicking on them enlarges them. (It may not work on a smart phone.  No room.)
        I seem to have some readers in many countries, so sometimes I include political comments, to reassure them that there are many points of view in our nation.
       Again, thank you for your interest in my work, in Appalachia, and in going gentle on this earth.  

2 comments:

  1. The pictures at your former house are great and GE and I were trying to figure out where the little patio with the laundry was; opening off the laundry room we guessed. Glad you could be there and be close and properly distant at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the laundry room is located in the corner of the house closest to the hillside. R. enjoys hanging out the laundry and, sometimes, racing against the rain to get it off the line drier than what she hung up
      .

      Delete