Sunday, September 20, 2020

a very full few days in early fall 2020

post #508

        Have been busy trying to make sense of the personal and the public, and I've been very emotional about the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. In general I try to keep track of things by more or less following the news, but it's way too hard to believe how power hungry people can be.  Our nation is supposed to be a democracy with fairness and with ways of cooperating.  Dog fighting does nothing to move us forward. 

        FIRST, here's the photo I said I'd "include next week." However, I didn't find it until today. It shows a rally Amy McGrath had during her first run for office. We were in a former high school gym, and Joe Biden had come, and he too gave a speech.  It was crowded, with good energy, but she didn't win the election.  Anyway, I'm tall, so I was able to get this photo.  (I've posted it two years ago on this blog.)       Now, Find Amy. Find Joe:


      SECOND, Here are two photos taken from the TV screen during this time of honoring a most remarkable Supreme Court Justice, Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I know that many of us have found her to be a determined and visionary leader in the path toward a place on earth where men and women have equal opportunities. She died Friday evening, and now her spot is empty on the Supreme Court and there is great drama about the future. She contributed so much for our nation over a lifetime of brilliant work, and now she is not even being given the respect of an acknowledgement of her contributions and achievements. It's shameful. Dog fight.

        I took both these photos as snapshots from the TV.  The first one is RBG, sharing the screen with Dahlia Lithwick, one of my favorite commentators about the courts. I greatly admire her. The second one is the MSNBC host, Chris Hayes, with someone who is showing how so many of us feel about the wrenching loss of this great defender of equal rights and our democracy. 




       The following photo comes to me via my daughter -- it was taken about a year ago by Moira Duvernay, in California, who is the niece of one of her close college friends. Thank you, Moira, for permission to share this wonderful moment in a young girl's life..

 


 

      A few days ago, I sent in for my ballot for voting in November, like I did in the spring for the primary. Just sayin, but I am SO TIRED of our president proclaiming that mailed-in ballots will be rigged!  HE IS JUST SETTING IT UP SO THAT IF HE DOESN'T GET THE MOST VOTES HE CAN BLAME IT ON CHEATERS [TOTALLY UNPROVEN AND NOT HAPPENING] instead of on his poor leadership and all those needless Covid 19 deaths.

        I guess I will spare my visitors tonight from more of my concerns about what lies ahead. At least for now.  I have had several phone calls this evening, including a Norwegian friend who lives in Canada, where procedures for dealing with the virus are way more stringent than in the USA.  And the border between Canada and the USA is still strictly monitored.  No crossing allowed. She had planned to be in Paris this week, but of course that's not happening. Her son is a commercial airplane pilot who reports the planes are seldom full. 

          Well, one last photo, in honor of the season and Sandy, my friend and neighbor.

 


                       HAVE YOU DONE THE CENSUS?  DO YOU HAVE A VOTING PLAN? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment