Sunday, July 29, 2012

back from where I was

post #96
       A whole week seems to have gone by since I was somewhere else and without wi-fi access!  I hated to miss doing my blog last week -- after 96 weekly posts with only two other skips -- because sharing my thoughts and my work energizes me.
      Most of my recent photo work has been about people, which is what makes wedding receptions enjoyable, of course.  But since I have a big thing about privacy and unintended consequences, I am not comfortable posting any of those photos in this blog.  I do want to say 1) how much I admire people who are real wedding photographers (I have done four, which is plenty) and 2) how much I really get into being among a group of people with an excuse to make photos of them.  I guess this speaks to my photojournalist wannabe self.   So my thanks to all -- you know who you are -- for going along with the program last weekend.
     
      Today I would like to share a photo I made a month ago that looks as if it were taken by someone who knew what she was doing.  I did not.  In fact I didn't think it could be done with just a Canon Rebel T3i and my faithful 70-300 lens.  I am particularly excited about this photo because in June I wrote a poem about the moon, which now I have an excuse to include on this blog.   What I am unsure of now is the sizing for posting this photo -- the moon I caught is actually quite detailed, ridges and all, looking kind of like a NASA version, but it may not show up as such on your screen. 

 



     Once upon the moon

Once my father got me, once
he brought home a deed
he paid for, a thrilling title to
a piece of our moon.  It wasn't 
even my birthday.  He just did it.
It was mine.  I could look up,
see it on some shadowy slope,
though no touching was possible.
(Remember, we used to think
no one would ever go so far,
that distance being like God,
just out there and everywhere.)
Now that moon holds
my memory of a moment,
when I found I owned a whole square
inch of that bright disc, with a deed
for proof, from my father who once
knew what I would want.


     As for X, Y and Z for the Appalachian alphabet book draft, I have decided these letters would be the ones to use as a photography exercise, searching for the shapes of the letters in the world around us.  This also provides an opportunity to ask for help, for the use of other eyes... I have set up a blog email address if anyone cares to share an idea of something he or she has seen, more rural than urban of course, that has any one of those three shapes within it.  Have fun with this, and THANK YOU.   Here is the address:  annphoto@mrtc.com
    


No comments:

Post a Comment