Sunday, June 23, 2013

hay bales, butterflies, and sunny cheese

post #143
     Today in Kentucky is warm.  I got up early very early to roam around in case there was a place to take a photo of the enormous moon, full, and "really close" to the earth.  Of course, getting up early on one of the longest days of the year is not the best idea a person could have.  Another bad idea is to live far from a flat horizon.  Hills are everywhere, hiding stuff.
     As any reader can guess, unfortunately I couldn't find the moon.  There were some clouds, here and there, so maybe it was hiding or maybe it had gone to bed before I got out and about.  According to the Farmers' Almanac I could have just missed it.  Tomorrow the moon will be way easier to find, so I might try again.  It was lovely out, however, and haying is in progress around here, so that is what I took some photos of.  Since it's sometimes hard for me to wait to share my photos, I am going to post some of them now.
 
     The first two are in a place I have shown in earlier posts.  The hay back there is not yet cut.  Some of it was beaten down by rain last week.




        Then I went to a field I often photograph since the road runs along the ridge nearby.  And it is beautiful.  As of this morning, this part of the farm has been mowed, raked, windrowed, and baled.  The bales will be picked up soon and driven away.  Some will then be encased in white plastic.



        The next three photos show a second section of the field, which may be being mowed as I write.  I love the view from this corner of that farm, looking north.



    By now the sun is getting higher and higher to the east.  I tried to make its light work for me in the next two photos, and I think it did.  Too much sun can mess things up.










       By the time I got home, the sun was definitely too bright for most picture-taking purposes.  But since I need a photo of "milkweed in the meadow," for that Appalachian alphabet manuscript, I took some photos of our milkweed plants anyway.  Our neighbor will be coming over soon to mow our fields, and I wanted to be sure I didn't miss this chance.  Of course, the pod of the milkweed is what I think about with this plant.  I hope the plant stays standing until the pods form and burst open with their soft and white whispy seeds, looking very milky.  I've learned today that its name actually comes from the white sap, which is poisonous.  Many insect species totally depend on this plant. 
      It is handy to have some growing right near our house.  For the next few weeks, I will be taking photos of this butterfly-friendly plant in as many kinds of light as I can manage.



        Recently I have been having viewers from up to ten different countries each day!  For those visitors who follow me regularly, you will remember I have planned to share the story of the book I was part of.  I am still working out the best way to present it.  I haven't forgotten; that post will happen, and soon.  
       In the meantime, to celebrate the solstice, I am sharing the cheese platter George Ella presented to our writers group on Friday, June 21.  What an artistic treat!


No comments:

Post a Comment