Sunday, February 22, 2015

England, part 3, same places, earlier visits

post #230
       Two years ago, again in the winter, I visited my British stepmother, in a different house but in the same town.  Since I wasn't able to take as many photos this year as I usually do, I thought it would be fun now to share some from my earlier visits. So here is a slice of life from, first, February, 2013:

across the street, early morning milk delivery

sounds and sights of early morning exercising, on the same street, through the center of town
      Two views from two windows, same very old house.  The outside of the second window can be seen in the lower right panel of the first window....  Notice, as yet no snow....




My stepmother was having some health problems at the time, so I went to visit her several days in a row at a care center, discovering this wonderful free-standing English oak en route.  LOVE IT, LOVE IT. 




The next time I passed by, I checked in with my new best friends, after the overnight snow.  First, the sheep,
and then their tree, looking all gussied up now and stately.  Think of the stories it could tell.

Back in town, again on High Street, after the snow, that evening. The building on the right is the old market place -- old meaning built in 1627, originally used for trading wool. 

       I am just now thinking that this is a pretty good dose of old England for one day, and I will save May, 2014, and some earlier warmer times there for next week.  I do have some snow photos from here, but who wants to see them this month!! if ever!!  However, maybe in July they may have some appeal.  I do want to thank my three friends who commented so astutely on last week's post, and to commend Steve Lyon for his close reading last week of the posted menu.  He asked me what food could possibly be called "toasted bloomer" or "rocket leaves".  I had to look them up myself, as I often do when it comes to English words used in England. (Imagine!)  Here is a hint:  a bloomer is toasted because it is a kind of _[roll]_____ , and rocket leaves are green and shaped like a rocket (?), just like  __[arugala]___.  Both items sound yummy to me, no matter the English version in use.

1 comment:

  1. The tree, the sheep, the windows—divine. The crossword puzzle, not so much.

    But I do wonder why we don't have the same kind of variety in our butcher shops?

    ReplyDelete