Sunday, May 15, 2016

celebrating photography friendships and ways of seeing

post #284
       I have been looking forward to sharing a variety of photos friends are making. Today there are four such folks. I hope to do another post later in the near future with four others. We each work by ourselves, behind the lens -- and most of us feel we see more from behind the lens than any other way.  We love the act of capturing a personal vision. However, another part of the experience is the sharing of what we see, with other photographers and with eyes from all over the world. I do this post with gratitude for the support I feel from these friends-with-photos. My sincere thanks to Rebecca, Tom, Mary and Chris for letting me post a few of your photos today.

        First, Rebecca, who has such an excellent eye, and she is quick. I am sort of a privacy nut, so as usual I am not necessarily giving full names, but I am proud to proclaim that Rebecca is my daughter! (The title for these three photos, however, are by me.)

bubble nostalgia - I remember that urge to test the bubbles in my bath.

wearing a dress her grandmother (me) once wore




Besides being quick, Rebecca is also playful!

        Next is Tom, who discovered the 4 x 5 camera in his twenties, and who would continue to lug that lovely thing around (a Zone VI Field Camera) were it not for his more than full time job as a professor at the University of Minnesota. He can make a great image with his iPhone 5 as well.
         I find a lot of peace in looking at this photograph and imagining the place having many looks over so many thousands of years.This ancient mound area is near Dayton, Ohio.
 
  



Many of Tom's images show the urban landscape, often in Cincinnati. This is one of them.

 city scape, this winter, Minneapolis

       A third friend is Mary Rezny who owns a gallery and studio in Lexington where she  features a core group of artists and she photographs art work brought to her or she goes to such places as museums to do that. SOMETIMES she even gets to do her own work, and be her inventive self. I bought this photo of hers several years ago, and I still love it. It takes me deep into the woods everytime I gaze at it. It's a lumen photo, with oil paint. 


       And now it is Chris's turn, and a remarkable turn it is. Chris Garris grew up near where I live, on the next ridge, in fact, but he went and got a PhD and taught in Saudi Arabia before returning to the USA two years ago. He now teaches psychology at Metro State University in Denver, Colorado. He does love to travel, and I find him a truly awesome photographer.  More of his photos can be seen on his Flicker site, Universal Stopping Point (click here.

          Two photos from the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve -- in Colorado: 


evening mist


         A photo of Ugandan kob, made in Queen Elizabeth National Park, in Uganda, and it was raining at the time:


         Now two photos from Ethiopia:
 
Mursi girl with puppy

Mursi women with assault rifles

     Chris's photos come with captions, on his Flicker account and to me. For my own information, I looked up 'kob' and found out it is or they are "an antelope with a reddish coat and lyre-shaped horns, found on the savannas of southern Africa." 

     I am happy just being in the company of these artists, and thank you all again. Don't forget that by clicking on a single photo, it is possible to get all the photos lined up at the bottom of the screen to be viewed in a larger size, and in greater detail.  Enjoy!
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Great idea. Love Rebecca's photos esp. Like all of them; such striking differences!
    In the last photo of Chris', is that a scar under the woman's lips?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mursi women often cut their lower lip to accommodate a clay disk for beauty purposes. Seeing them without the disk in place can be a bit alarming.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Yes but I'd be alarmed either way.

      Delete