Tuesday, August 22, 2017

nearby: walks, neighbors, my pond and Clyde's apples

post #349
        Time for a little catching up, before tomorrow's eclipse, though I don't plan to take photos. Surely there'll be enough. I look forward to being present, sharing the experience with my son-in-law and my granddaughter on a quiet open area on a hillside above their home.

        OK, first photo. I had a good visit with Jean last week, and food (!), and a new view from her kitchen table of that barn that's being repaired:



      This second photo is of Gary and his grandson who was visiting from West Virginia. They stopped by on the four wheeler! Their visit was an unexpected treat:




       My daughter and I went to Clyde's to show him some photos I took this spring of his apple orchard. This was my best photo of what's going on there now: winesaps on their way to being totally ripe. I get to return there soon since Clyde had to be in the next county helping his son with a building project by the time we arrived.




     Now some photos from the evening walks I've been taking near where I live. The woods feel different here than where I used to live, four miles away. Now I pass fields and more fields:



a quiet, secluded cemetery along the way


        I wish everyone a safe day tomorrow, with no eye damage.  We're not in totality, but we're scheduled to be free of clouds. Neighbors here drove south to Tennessee yesterday to do it right! I'm happy for them.  
       I want to give a shout-out to all the scientists who love their work and who are so excited about this eclipse. The obvious question today is that since we seem to have no problem trusting scientists for the research about the universe, why is there any question about doing research about the earth's climate!  Anyway, thank goodness for our dedicated scientists. And for curiosity.


my peaceful pond

     One last photo, from this summer's cousin camp here -- Audrey in orbit.....around a son.....

1 comment:

  1. "The obvious question today is that since we seem to have no problem trusting scientists for the research about the universe, why is there any question about doing research about the earth's climate! Anyway, thank goodness for our dedicated scientists. And for curiosity." --bravo you!

    Audrey in orbit around a son!

    The window with barn in background! Ah!

    Quite the sampler here. Enjoy so much. xo


    ReplyDelete