Sunday, March 25, 2018

note cards, and some snow, part 3 of 4 or 5

post #379
       In parts 1 and 2 I have shown all horizontal views, that may use different colored papers to enhance the colors in a particular photo. It's work to cut the paper, but I really enjoy doing the matching up. Today I am showing six of the vertical images -- which use a standard photo holder card. This allows for greater strength if the card is displayed without a frame. It means that the outside edges of the photo are not visible, which, for me, someone who frames my image in the camera, can be tricky, but most of the time it works well enough. I can no longer locate different colors for these holders, but maybe one day I'll find some.
       Now that I may have provided information some of you might not care about at all, I'm ready to get on with this post's images. Enjoy!

red, white, blue and green -- one of many views I like from this time and place

Sideway Road -- what I saw one day while checking my mail box

Woods Waterfall -- one of my first photos with a new lens

rescue donkey -- belonging now to my friend Peg in McCreary County in southeast Kentucky.  (The tips of his ears are not able to be shown in this card holder format because of the way I shoot by default.)


 
iris -- a good year!

tendril -- originally a slide, and title help from George Ella

rooster pride -- this guy also belonged to Peg. He stayed on that fence until we came back from our walk, and I knew that meant that he really wanted me to take his photo. So I obliged him and thanked him.


             I want to take time to add a few recent snow photos --  this first one was made by Jeremey. I love the contrast between the soft blanket of snow (which melted by the end of the day) and the angles of the hill, sky and clouds. This is a new view for me of the house where I used to live!  As I've said before, you never know.


             Now for two snow photos from where I live now, close by:

the view from the second floor deck, Saturday, covering the driveway mid afternoon
 
the same view this morning, with a different camera, after 5 inches of snow the day before, ending at midnight


        This morning, soon after taking this photo, I was part of a family pickup at the Lexington airport, 2 hours away. By the time we all got back here much of the snow had melted, but some remains. I suspect this might be the last of our winter in this region?  No guarantee....
        
        I would like to give a loud shout-out to the young people and others who marched and rallied yesterday all over the world demanding more sensible interpretation of the second amendment.  They have shown more caring and WAY MORE BACKBONE than our elected officials.  The NRA appears to use fear as a way to make a profit for their supporters -- though I haven't heard a good explanation why I can't drive a car or a boat without a registration but guns don't require much.  I think this heightened distress about guns has little to do with the 2nd amendment and everything to with some realities of modern day America. The Founding Fathers could have had little conception about what lay so far in the future.  It's hard to believe that back then they envisioned the citizens of this democracy needing clear rules so we don't kill each other and especially how we would have to realize how much we want to make a priority of keeping our kids alive and safe.

5 comments:

  1. The snow photos are great and i wonder if Martin Muse, who played bass in the band with me last night in Clay City, had trouble Ietting back home to Muses Mills after the job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve - I'm sure he did OK. The band of snow was narrow, and went NW to SE. Elliott County got a lot more snow than Rowan County. Even so, there were no schools canceled in the region today. It was lovely and brief. Happy Spring!

      Delete
  2. The photo of Sideway is especially lovely. As are you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ann, the donkey just made my day! I, too, have a donkey and I love her! Also the rooster photo is fantastic! I would love some note cards of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shana -- I can bring some by soon in Sandy Hook, or you can come to my Gallery. Call first, though, since I am not always here. So glad you liked the donkey, too. A very sweet one. Her best friend is a much bigger horse. I hope to hear more about your donkey soon, here or where you are.

      Delete