Monday, April 16, 2018

reassured by spring flowers and a creek

post #382
      It's sort of spring! This weekend I have been to where there were wildflowers everywhere. I was at Pine Mountain Settlement School, in Harlan County, in southeastern Kentucky. We had lovely weather on Saturday, with mostly intermittent rain on Sunday (today). In any case, it was reassuring, to say the least, to have redbud trees in bloom, some tint of green on trees, and a canopy of early wildflowers. It took me around four hours to drive home this afternoon, heading as close as I could to the way a crow flies. It never fails that I find driving through eastern Kentucky fascinating and often beautiful. However, it's hard to find places along the way to stop for photo taking. Probably a good thing. I might otherwise not yet be home....
        I wasn't able to make many photos, but here are the few I did have time for:


star chickweed




The Chapel at Pine Mountain Settlement School, with an organ!

Behind the chapel is a wooded area with all kinds of treasures....

trillium (not my best photo but included becase it's my only one from yesterday)




With more time to work, I could have shown better how this feels like a carpet of flowers.


These trillium are blooming atop a large rock.  I love this habit of theirs.  We have some similar patches here as well.  I need to go check on them soon.  (Harlan County is farther south than we are up here.)

big, brave, beaten up tree but still standing


I always like to stand on the little walking path bridge that goes over this creek. For me the creek of a place is like an anchor.


           Creeks also make me think of creek beds, and then tonight I think of my own bed... .Long day, but worth it. I can always hope that some year I will be able to go down there just to take photographs, during April. But then I would miss the fun of being around a fire pit, with kids and marshmellows and a guitar and a ukelele and the singing of vintage songs and current songs, and the such. I hope everyone has had some beauty this weekend, though it is not yet spring everywhere, at least not in the United States.
 

2 comments:

  1. You're up late! I really like "For me the creek of a place is like an anchor."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was indeed up late! Realized earlier this morning, however, that I had neglected to include a title, and now there is one. I still stand by my anchor statement and am glad you go for it as well. Thanks.

      Delete