Sunday, September 23, 2018

Great Britain wrap-up -- for 2018

post #398
        By now it's more than two weeks since I have returned from England, yet I remain in transition. I haven't yet come to terms with my new relationship with the British Isles.  I do know the light over there is amazing -- a photographer's friend -- though because it's closer to the North Pole, there are more hours of darkness in the winter. However, as always, I'd like to express my appreciation for all the fine and fun folks I have met there over the years, the main reason my connection will remain for many more years. 
        These remaining photos from two weeks ago were made in the little bit of time I had that week to be out and about with my camera. 

SO, this is where I left off last week -- about to walk to High Street via Peelers Close:



 I was looking for some protein to fill out my leftovers at the apartment, but, really, a hunk of cheese, no matter how amazing, is not a good option when the next day requires 22 hours of traveling and the scrutiny of TWO Customs and Security lines, the first one in London and the next one after arriving in Detroit.

    This new small shop in Chipping Campden also sells fresh cut meat, and has vegetables as well. I'm afraid this town is catering more and more for the many tourists than for the random hungry residents..... but they were more than tolerant of my American self.


    I wanted to walk home the scenic way, over this creek that runs through town, where for days I had been wowed by the fullness of these flowers.  The next two photos were made from the little bridge that crosses over the creek.  Well, maybe it's not called a creek in England.
 





These homes back up on the creek.  The English love of gardens is legendary, and it lasts during every month of the year:









I guess this limb, in a front yard, could be said to have a pair of pears.

The solar panels caught my attention as well.  Then I looked more closely at who was in the window.


Sure looks like Shakespeare to me...   He made me laugh, in any case.

          The next day I headed for home.  I was picked up around 7 p.m. at the Lexington airport by my dear daughter, since driving myself home, with over an hour on the interstate, after such a long day without sleep, has never been a good idea.  
       After that first night's sleep, I absolutely needed to drive to town, for a dental appointment. When I started to get in my car -- left for several days in my very basic shed -- I discovered this enormous web, complete with its workaholic spider.  I hated having to destroy everything, so the least I could do was to make this photo in honor of all that deft design work which welcomed me home.

     
         I will get back to add to this post after I check with friends in England about what a creek is called, and, from last week, what is the story behind "Peeler's Close."  Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Steve - I didn't follow my own directions when I first tried responding to you a week ago. That's why this comment of thanks is a week late, and you have your own copy of the spider photo by now....

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, George Ella -- I may now go other places now, including other locations in England, since I am so curious about the world. I'll try to surprise you sometime!

      Delete
  3. Oh Ann, lovely pictures...What fun it would be to travel with you!

    ReplyDelete