Sunday, September 2, 2018

in England, unexpectedly

post #396
       Last week my stepmother died, at age 90. She is English, and lived in England, and so that is where I have been. My two sisters and I have had a full and busy time, and Robin in particular has worked hard to prepare the apartment for sale. But tonight I went out for a short late evening walk, along the sidewalks of this lovely old village that I have shown photos of before, from earlier visits. I will miss the kind friends made here over the years and the many people who have been so supportive of us during this transition time.


First, an evening sky in the days before leaving to make the trip,


and the morning sky as I started out for the Lexington airport. Somehow that most delicate of rainbows felt like a good omen.  (Thanks, A.S., for the fun ride to the airport!!)
 


  around the nearby corner of Sheep Street and High Street....



front door of the church

several gardens along the street:




          And last but not least in the neighborhood is the very popular Volunteer Inn.
LOCATION: near the church and the LOWER HIGH STREET sign. Perhaps there are a few jokes made by the juxtaposition of sign and pub, since the Inn is essentially an English pub, shown here, with a wonderful Indian Restaurant on the back side of the building.  I think most of their food sales are take-out, like ours will be tomorrow night!  



There's a big world out there, and I am grateful I have had these chances to experience different places and different ways of doing things.  Even so, I'm looking forward to being home very soon. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow. How did the Volunteer Inn get its name? Sounds like TN. The street in Chipping Camden seems so familiar from all the photos of it through the years. Glad you're back now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your stepmothers passing...

    ReplyDelete