Sunday, September 30, 2018

political pause

post #399
       Even as I look out on blue skies for a second day, after rain, rain, rain, I find that I remain caught up in the current wrenching display of wounds to the core democracy that supposedly defines our nation.  
      In honor of all those who are finding their voice, and in recognition of all the work that still needs to be done to inspire greater empathy among all of us, I feel the minimum I can do today is say a few words myself, instead of sharing photos as usual.
      These are not usual times, and I, for now, trust they are not some kind of new norm.
       
      My understanding is that those who make it to a confirmation hearing for a place on the US Supreme Court prepare for that day almost their whole life. I would think not being welcomed with open arms once the time comes could feel like a huge repudiation of hard work and the definition of self. I suspect that there has not been equal emphasis along the way on learning to cope if, for some reason -- and there are many possible reasons, as a matter of course -- the actual appointment does not actually happen. It would seem that somewhere along the way, some candidates soak up the idea that he or she is entitled to the appointment. 
       Of course women are not so likely to experience that entitlement aspect of the preparation because they have been barred until recently for even a place at the table. 
       It is also my understanding that the rant we heard on Thursday from Judge Kavanaugh, beyond the pain he was clearly experiencing for not being welcomed with those open arms, was so full of partisan rancor that it revealed his truer motivation. He is supposed to be the knight in shining armor designated by his "clan" to cement deeply conservative ideology on the Supreme Court. He doesn't want to be the one to disappoint the team.
       He has also made some pretty dicey explanations, under oath, that defy common sense. Perhaps his team doesn't call him on his inaccuracies because they would act the same way were they in his shoes? Or are lies now so commonplace in our public discourse that they're barely worthy of mention? 
       Maybe one big question is whether we are still able to value the truth when we hear it! I happen to think that the testimony by Dr. Ford on Thursday was filled with honesty. I think that is one reason why so many found her public statements compelling. And generous. She clearly did it not for herself but to have the information out there for consideration. 
       
       Since I am blessed with many friends over my lifetime, I can share that one of them called me Friday to let me know, for the first time, what happened to her 12 year old self. She has tried over the years to get into the habit of not remembering it. It's not like a badge. I'm so glad she's finally speaking about it. I thank her for her trust and, as always, for her friendship. 
       
Probably this post has enough words for now. Thank you for reading this through.  Ann
       
      
       

No comments:

Post a Comment