Sunday, November 18, 2018

reflections about reflections, especially in Chicago

post #406
       After my quiet last week, here are some photos of hustle and bustle, or "life is not always quiet in the country."  For one thing, I went on a last minute trip to Chicago recently, to watch my son do one of the things he loves about the law -- working in front of a jury.  But it obviously was not a good idea to take photos of that, so instead I let myself be amazed by the tall buildings in Chicago, which loomed over all of us. The trial was on the 19th floor, and the open area had floor to ceiling windows. Nice! (especially because there were no windows at all in the courtroom, which was also not that spacious. But interesting nonetheless!)  
        So, Reflections I:





looking east toward Lake Michigan

I was trying to figure out how to show how this building reflected all the images around it. It was riveting, to me. Otherwise it looked like a perfectly ordinary building.


On the walk from courthouse back to the hotel, there were the reflections in tall buildings along the river.


And some sidewalk helpers

the changing light from the 15th floor of the hotel

and the city life below
     Meanwhile, back in Kentucky, the best days of the fall came and went. But second best days aren't that bad. Then there were the elections of Nov. 6, and voting -- in our Volunteer Fire Department.  I think our precinct had over 300 voters, 6 a.m. until 6 p.m.








on the way to the polls

Everyone has to drive to the polls -- our homes are spread out!

voter in training, with long term voter

one last fall photo, under the sun
        Reflections II:  I give thanks for everyone who believed in our democracy enough to vote; I am not happy that anyone was kept from voting by arbitrary restrictive rules.  That is the truth, no fraud about it. I am of course very happy more women ran for office and won.  Diversity is healthy for the quality of all our lives and our nation.  While I'm at it, may I add that I am stunned that anyone would think that the horrible fires in California are not influenced by climate change.  The image that comes to my mind is rows and rows of heads in the sand.  Not wanting something to be true is not a great way to handle changes that desperately need our attention and our vision.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment