Sunday, February 10, 2019

moss and more

post #418
             I have been rather extravagant lately with so many photos at a time, so today is a kind of pull back, a balance. It does go along with my increasing awareness that we live in a world that is threatened. That is, its health is in jeopardy. This is not necessarily due to anything the earth has initiated. 
           Instead I am stunned by how many humans, each one here temporarily, are not willing to help it out and recognize the need to take better care. I think that my concern and angst comes when there is widespread denial of even the possibility of the calamity that lies ahead. I don't think denying the documented possibility shows any kind of acknowledgement that each of us possesses a good brain. How come so many, say,  Republicans, for example, chose to ignore what science might tell us? Are they just afraid of not being able to avoid the truth?  What is there to lose by increasing the studies scientists make concerning our climate? our air? our water? I just don't get it about the joy of ignorance.
           Recently I feel I want to figure out how to do my part, better.  I'm not a biologist, but I love noticing what's in the natural world. I'm not any kind of scientist, actually, but I am a photographer. This week, as I thought about all this, it was warm enough outside to take a walk, and I saw these wonderful mosses. I know they have a part in this world, the one we need to be making whole. 
           As I seek to learn what is my particular place in this work all of us humans can do, I'm happy to share these striking greens, just being themselves:

























 Then there are always other interesting sights nearby, such as this one:
 


     Sometimes life gives us unexpected treats. With that in mind, I would like to give a shout out to my young friend Isabel who has been working for me a day a week! She is terrific, and her computer skills alone have helped me so much.  In this photo she is cleaning off some old family slides that turned up, with Pec 12 fluid, which smells bad but cleans well.... Thank you, Isabel. I am forever grateful our paths have crossed.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hmmm, of course, it's only non-rolling stones which gather the moss.... Most of these moss photos were made along the side of the road, which has steep sides. There was so much green. How could I have missed seeing the display! It felt like an art gallery, about waist high.

      Delete