Sunday, February 3, 2019

Sunsets during my photography years (part 2 of 2)

post #417
      OK, sunsets always have the potential for beauty, sometimes amazing, often when working alongside or within clouds. Since the sun "goes down" every day, it might be easy to take these displays for granted.  I haven't yet gotten to that point, I must confess. I also want to mention that as far as a photo goes, it's sometimes hard to tell later whether it was a sunset or a sunrise! If this is happening in familiar territory, where the looking west viewpoint differs from the one looking east, then there is a clue. Otherwise not. 

      As far as I know, every single image that follows is taking place during a setting sun.  I do hope everyone is still noticing the steady reliable work the sun does for us.  I happen to think that if we don't take responsibility for reducing the human causes of climate change that the sun will no longer be able to be the friend it has been so far.


ARRIVING BY PLANE, IN DENVER, COLORADO  -- SEE THE PLANET


TWO EVENING VIEWS, A FEW DAYS LATER, IN THE COLORADO ROCKIES


FROM RIGHT AT HOME, IN EASTERN KENTUCKY


WELL, THIS IS A VARIATION OF A SETTING SUN, THOUGH THIS ECLIPSE, FOR US, WAS ACTUALLY MAINLY A PARTIAL SUN.

THREE MORE, FROM RIGHT AT HOME



THE CAMPUS OF EARLHAM COLLEGE, IN RICHMOND, INDIANA WHERE IT'S PRETTY FLAT AND OPEN!







ON THE BAY BEACH NEAR EAST DENNIS, ON CAPE COD, MASSACHUSETTS



ON THAT BEACH, LOOKING NORTH, FROM THE SAME SPOT
BACK AT HOME, MIRRORED BY THE POND
I have more such photos, but I am going to end with one last one, for now, to draw the two parts of this sunset 'series' together.  I made this photo sitting in a window seat in the plane going north last week, and the only reason the photo was possible was, of course, because the wing was covering the actual setting sun. I like how the design of the wing mirrored the coastline between the land and the water. I didn't know I would see that. But that's one reason why I stay energized by the visual dimension of my life. 


3 comments:

  1. Oh darn and the world awaits....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worth waiting for! Especially the flying saucer clouds over CO and the middle of the right at home photos. and Cape Cod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Steve, for your patience. There's usually a small window of opportunity when filming the sun on our moving earth.....

      Delete