Sunday, August 4, 2019

Grayson Lake, midsummer, part 2 of 2

post #443
       I love having these additional photos to share from our afternoon on Grayson Lake. However, first I'd like to explain briefly about the lake. It's located near Grayson along I64 in northeastern Kentucky. It was built by the Army Corps of Engineers; it didn't exist when I first came to Kentucky as a teenager.  The cliffs in these photos would be "taller" if I could show their underwater sections as well. It's the reason the kids can swim right up to the side of the cliffs. We don't get to go out often enough on a boat or canoe or kayak.
       The shape of the lake on a map looks to me like an extremely elongated serpent. Also in the general area is Carter Caves State Park, which features underground caves. We don't have much coal in this part of Kentucky, though there is some. Mainly there's lots of beauty.

        Well, that's enough for explanations. Here are more views from last week's boat outing:





fishing, sort of




Even a place so large and relatively remote suffers from thoughtless trash.

 I do love the cliffs, including the details.








Thank you, Rebecca, for being picturesque AND for making your photos!
 
Rebecca using her "good photographer eye"

Two photos by Rebecca:




       I hope this post today provides a bit of lift after more gun violence this past week, and more lying and bullying from our president.  We had no way to get news all that afternoon, even if we had wanted to. I don't mean to be a spoil sport, but, as citizens, we should never pretend there aren't needless and abnormal behaviors being thrown at us every day. We have to persist. Thank you for caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment