Sunday, September 22, 2019

last week the ride from the barn, today the barn by itself

post #441
          I have kind of a fascination with Gary's barn.  I've posted photos in the past from when Jonathan was renovating the building.  Yesterday -- the week after the memorial ride I posted about last time -- I stopped by to make some more barn photos. Jonathan happened to be there, after feeding all the cattle and the horses! It turned out that this had been the day he separated the calves from their moms. These calves were in the barn but not at all in the mood to have their photo taken.  But the horses were in the barn as well, and they were delighted to stand around contentedly. Perhaps my presence was like desert.... (That's a joke..)
             The light for making photos (bright sun) wasn't as good yesterday as it was before the memorial ride (some cloud cover) but anyway, here are some of my takes, so to speak.




 inside the barn, with Jonathan

The oldest horse, Tiffany but nicknamed Tiff, is around 30 years old and beloved:
 

Tiff is mom to the bigger horse next to her, and I think the dark colored horse is Tiff's granddaughter:

 


my only half decent photo of some of the calves, looking huge to me:

  The repaired roof amazes me. What a piece of work. Bravo, Jonathan!


 storage area -- the old plow, now in the rafters:

 looking back toward the shed and the house:

      The last photo, of the door on that shed, is an attempt at art -- the door has been in use for over 50 years. Everyone realizes it needs to be replaced, but it is latched in place with memories and stories:


Some things are like old friends, and we get attached and even defined by the familiar despite the changes of aging....

No comments:

Post a Comment