Sunday, February 16, 2020

admitting how much I still need to learn

post #477 -- warmer today, but still feels like winter. 
          Between the cold weather, some ice, and changing schedules resulting from being wary about the roads -- plans changing and such -- my photo making has been somewhat reduced.  Even so, after gathering some recent photos to share today, I noticed that somehow I must have changed a setting on my Canon -- the images don't have as many pixels as usual. I have no idea what happened though I'm pretty sure it's pretty obvious to almost anyone.  Luckily I am friends with almost anyone, so I look forward to learning more about my camera. I just mention all this because my blog intro, from 8 years ago, states these posts are about photography as well as about Appalachia; I get to share the glitches as well as the glamour of doing photography.  
         So some snow, ice, shadows in my attempts to capture the unusual:




      Still near home, the view from the mailbox after the ice and during the days of snow:



       Watching the red-bellied wood-pecker using the porch post for a seed opener.  There's just the single bird of his kind, or otherwise I'd have to discourage him from his efforts.



   This is the view beyond him, still during the snows.  No longer any ice on the pond, but now the driveway is covered, overnight.  No shoveling required.




       During this series of crazy weather days, I took a walk in a nearby field, scouting out the goings-on, looking for clues.  I believe this is evidence of deer:



                and this is evidence of beauty along the road, along the bank by the road.  It's all really just hanging there. It's wonderful to see the intrepid greens.
 



        During these last couple of weeks, we had a great visit with N and H -- walks in the woods with cats and cozy moments on the couch.  I was able to see them more than usually happens, and I'm glad I managed to make two good photos of them. I'm thankful for family.





       I wish everyone safe travels, good health, and relief from floods and the many kinds of storms. I'm thinking this day of friends in England and Scotland, during the major winds and rains they are having.  I copied the following photo from a news story about England.  I admired the photo, bracketed by the ducks and the woman on the phone -- one of those lovely photos of something terrible.

photo by Oli Scarff/ Agence France-Press, Getty Images

4 comments:

  1. These are wonderful. All the snow. Where was the photo from England taken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve -- I found the article and photo, NYTimes, 2/17/20, River Severn in Bewdley, at Wribberhall. It looks in another photo as if the town has flood gates, very clever ones. I relocated the photo via the photographer's name and Bewdley. Thanks for asking. I also thought I had published your comment early this morning, but it didn't take. So I hope now that it has!!

      Delete
    2. I looked at the NYT photo of them putting up the flood gates. There's one in Covington that works like that but its opening is maybe 30 feet by 30 feet and it feels really weird to walk through it and realize they put it there because that's where the river is sometimes. I had to play there with a band for a KY League of Cities meeting.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting, Steve. It must be so hard to have a home that is ruined by water, whether in a town or near a mountain, like in Harlan. We all should probably reduce our "stuff" as much as we can while we can. I hope you had a successful concert when you played at the Covington meeting!

    ReplyDelete