Sunday, February 23, 2020

practicing seeing, noticing, sharing a moment, wondering, being amazed

post #478 -- on a sunny but cool day, getting ready for more rain tomorrow
        I hear this often: "you see things", and I do. Not everything, but the details of where I happen to be have always fascinated me. It makes me a slow walker, even without my camera. At my best, I am a stop and go walker.  I don't like to miss something even on a subway or down an aisle in the grocery store. When I drive, if I don't make a wrong turn, I can usually recreate the directions to a place. Once I make a wrong turn, however, I'm very likely then, the next time, to remember that way as well.  (What's hard for me is leaving a gas station in the direction I should be facing. My visual clues have been tampered with. It's helpful if I'm with some of my road trip buddies who are aware of this idiosyncrasy of mine. The easiest way, of course, in this case, is to switch drivers during the stop!)
          I searched out a few examples of "seeing while being me". Tonight's ones are recent. I was taking a walk, which included a non-road segment, over a field and on a tractor path to that field. But I started from the road, with seriously long shadows of late evening light.


ME

me again, looking back over where I had just walked from the road, putting the sun behind me





         What makes these holes, in these eastern Kentucky mowed fields! I should know, but I don't:



 tonight's horizon, now looking toward the setting sun from about the same location:


This is the major TREE for this week's hommage. I can do better with it under other light conditions, and I am sure I will because I love the way it stands out and over most other nearby trees on my walk along the road. (There is not much traffic on my road.)

          I also want to share these two photos of my granddaughter and the hoverboard she handles with such ease. She loves it. The second photo includes the wood stove that came with the house 45 years ago. A treasure. Several years ago I included several photos of the stove on a post for this blog.








        For some reason I really enjoy this photo from this week's walk. I've saved it until the end. I like the light, the lightness of the leaves, the having to walk around it on the path -- so I took a photo on the way. I was just using my trusty 6s iPhone; I was surprised by the depth of field it shows. I don't usually get that when using my phone. I'm glad I noticed these leaves, up close and personal. Thank you, trees, as always.

       I have wanted to explain that some of the times I mention American politics in my posts are because I have viewers in many countries. I want them to know we have points of view that may not always be obvious. For example, this week there were one or more page views from the UK [England], Indonesia, Switzerland, Germany, France, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal, and "unknown region." Usually I have Russia on there and Ukraine and Canada. Most, however, are in the USA.  I don't know how to figure out which city, but it amazes me how there are good ways in which the world has opened up -- along with the troubles that can also occur. 
        Please, everyone, remember how essential truths are, as is kindness to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment