Sunday, November 15, 2020

A second celebration of hopeful moments over the years, via some favorite photos

post #517

        While the wait goes on -- for an official acknowledgement of the normal transition process between American political administrations --  nature decided to try to blow us away!  And, here in Eastern Kentucky, this very afternoon was spent without electricity!! I guess we will learn the extent of what happened and where tomorrow. For once I have a very dramatic explanation for the belated time of posting this weekly blog.....  After all, I want this is all about hope since we know there will continue to be moments of hope in our lives. At the moment that reality can sometimes feel elusive.

 

I have to start with these lovely hay rows. Every year. The small cemetery on the hill. The beauty of the land near where I am lucky enough to live.

      

a visit from our friend George Ella Lyon -- and time together with a book

This photo happened -- it wasn't very posed -- during a gathering of writers at the Hindman, KY Settlement School. These two writers are good friends and great writers, and they each have a recent book.  Talk about hope for the world!  I mentioned George Ella's two weeks ago, and I really think it's terrific, Voices of Justice. Gurney Norman's is Allegiance. I have heard it is remarkable.
 


                          visits with good neighbors, good friends












        Next is a photo by Rebecca of her wonderful student Honami, from Japan, who came out to R's house to see if the sukiyaki we make in Kentucky has almost the same taste as hers does back home.  Note: Japanese families are well known to be extremely polite. We might never know what she really thought, but I think she actually enjoyed a Japanese meal while "away from home."  We enjoyed being with her very much. (photo by Rebecca O. Wright)


I love this after dinner moment with Peg, who now runs a Bed and Breakfast in southeastern Kentucky, very near Cumberland Falls. She and I knew each other in Connecticut 100 years ago... There are stories.... She also knows Gurney. (see above)


I don't know whether these three are related or just mellow full time, as mourning doves often are. The birds in our neck of Appalachian Kentucky are endlessly fascinating to me. 



        This is going to be enough for tonight. Kind of random, kind of amazing. I feel this science t-shirt says it all. I continue to have some problems with the revised blog info getting the photos I want to go where I want them to, and so forth.  Pulling the weekly post together works better now than it did this summer, but this blog is supposed to be all fun for me, and certainly not more frustration than fun.

         May everyone stay healthy and wear a mask when out in the world, for others, and may damaged Donald Trump be blessed with a sliver of insight, just what's needed to give it up about our elections being rigged. Enough already of damaging the very foundation of our nation.  

        Again I send thanks for all the grueling, caring work being done on behalf of those suffering from Covid 19. I'm glad the rest of us can at least help a little by wearing a mask and not being part of big groups. A lot of us doing what we can will make all the difference.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy meeting all your friends, no matter how many times. The doves are cute. Gurney & Geo. Ella--sweet. George reading to the two--also sweet.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete