Sunday, November 1, 2020

Distraction works wonders.

 post #515

        Tuesday looms over my day today, a Sunday -- unless I can get involved in a project. Or if a Norwegian friend living in Canada calls because she is following our politics very closely and is disbelieving and terrified. And a poet friend gets closer to having her book published.. And then a former schoolmate, now living in New Mexico, wants a report on Senator Mitch McConnell's latest dastardly deeds. And I checked in with a neighbor, again by phone, to learn about how things are going on our ridge, and my daughter checked in as well with a Halloween update. And, this morning, I took part in the remote Quaker Meeting I am part of, via Zoom, from Lexington. For periods of time today I actually forgot that the election still hangs over our heads, and that there could be bad behavior by those not willing to adhere to a constitutional transfer of power.  However, for a while, I even forgot that today is usually the day I do this weekly post!!  The wind blew the leaves back and forth across the driveway, for hours and hours, which is unusual. But I didn't blow away, and I am now doing the post. (And it is still today despite my semi-annual struggle to get a few clocks changed, by simply a single hour.  Arghhh) 

       One day last week, the fall colors were dramatic. I had to stop here and there along the ridge on my way back from town:





Then last Wednesday was fairly warm but with clouds -- a great day for taking on my promise to my daughter that I was good for a couple of hours in one of the garden patches they have:


a rock that to me looks like an owl's head....

Their dog looks enough like a deer that he has to wear his orange collar this time of year.

The Steps, seen from the garden -- they appear in many photos over the ten years of this blog.

 
version #1 of found treasures in the garden

 

version #2, again with another dogwood leaf. I call this photo "the seed within."


Humor for the locked-down deprived -- thanks so much, Forrest, for sharing these titles. I thought them delightfully clever. I'm thankful for other humor found on line, since there's not all that much that's funny these days.  We have a lot of work ahead of us to bring sanity back to our nation.  Why would we want to reelect someone who can envision not transferring power peacefully!!! That's an attitude that harms us all. It's super shocking, actually. And scary.


     My friend George Ella Lyon wrote a 1989 children's book called Together, one of my favorites out of the 40+ books she has done.  It ends with words that also work for us this week:

          Let's put our heads together and dream the same dream.

 Note: George Ella has a new book out, VOICES OF JUSTICE, poems for young people (and older folks) about those among us who have worked for justice.  It's illustrated by Jennifer M. Potter.  Congratulations!!!

4 comments:

  1. I’m trying and failing to imagine a Zoom Quaker meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying and failing to imagine a Zoom Quaker meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve -- It actually works well. We are used to silence, so everyone does mute until and if he or she wants to speak. Then first one unmutes oneself, speaks, and then "sits" down and returns to being muted. It is very peaceful, but it can take some practice initially. You can see everyone. For someone like me who lives a distance away, it has its advantages. But every one agrees that, even so, being able to be present will be so wonderful. And hugs are currently sorely missed.

      Delete
  3. The fall colors were beautiful from here to the river farm too. More color there at first (I had to drive back and forth a few times). I also needed distractions. Love the seed within. xoxo

    ReplyDelete