Sunday, August 8, 2021

New England, part 2 of 2

        Finally I've mostly caught up with myself after the 12 days away.  I have some more photos to share  -- and memories too.  I'm so grateful for all the support friends and family gave me along the way.

         Many magnificent trees are on the Smith campus.  Hardly anyone was around when I was there, in late July. I had hoped to see inside the new library, but it's not yet open to the public, as I explained last week.


     The broader view of the botanical gardens at Smith, and the back view of my dorm when I was a student.  (See the previous blog for two other photos.)

I spent the night in town with a dear friend, Maureen, who used to live in Kentucky.  The first of the next two photos is a tiny neighborhood library -- or book exchange -- which she oversees.

        It's based on the house where her apartment is, up the hill from the street.
Northampton has many such lovely old large houses.

    Maureen took me to see the Quaker Meeting in downtown Northampton, MA.  I asked her to sit on the bench as we would do for Quaker Meeting.  I love the smile she shared and the simplicity of the room and benches.

   Then it was back to Boothbay Harbour, Maine, for the first night's cousins meal.  My sister, Robin, the night's chef, in the hat, seems to have caused multiple cleaned plates.... totally tasty pesto with her own basil.
   


All is ready for the next night, same view



These are probably Canada geese, but we were hoping for some species of exotic water fowl.

Also in Maine:  I was able to stay a night with my second cousin, Doug, on our mother's side.  He and Holly and 4 of his brothers and families live in Wayne.  Doug and I stopped here while doing some errands "in town".



I liked the comment in the lower right hand of this poster in the store.




!




    To end, I will try as always for one or two short videos, the first along the street friends Judy and Gwen live on in Hamden, CT, near New Haven.  Flowers everywhere in the small yards of most of the homes!


        The other one will have to wait until I get brave again.  Could happen very soon.  In any case, I will be back in two weeks for some more sharing.  PLEASE STAY HEALTHY EVERYONE.  School will be starting very soon, and our kids deserve to go to school safely, and that logically includes everyone wearing a mask for the time being.  Don't get brain washed! Instead use the brain to see the reasons for the need now to be as careful as possible.   



No comments:

Post a Comment