Sunday, February 20, 2011

too many cameras? never enough bodies?

post #21    
       A week ago I wrote here that I would post both Frankfort photos AND hog killing photos this week.  What was I thinking!  I guess it's just what I would have liked to do.  But, instead, here are a few of my mountaintop removal mining NOT rally photos.  I promise hog next week.   
The day was WINDY and CHILLY.  Thankfully no ice was on the ground this year.



These young stream savers share their hopes for our future in such a caring and creative way. Thanks!
2/2009
2/14/2011
         Last week I posted a photo of flags on the capitol building, from 2009, and this year I noticed the flags were blowing in a different direction....   Unfortunately, this fact doesn't seem to match the sentiment in the legislature, where the stream saver bill (HB 239) once again won't even be discussed in its committee, per decision of the chair, and Governor Beshear has not had an open dialogue with his many citizens who don't think coal should be ruling the state.   Since when is dialogue on important issues considered a burden instead of a hallmark of democracy??  Commentary on the issue will continue.  (See author Silas House's opinion piece in today's NY Times.)
     This last photo is my favorite from Monday's march and rally.  Great smile, great sign.  If anyone knows who this young man is, please put the info in the comments (where anyone can use Anonymous as the place to make a comment) so that I can send him a copy of the photo.  Thanks!  Ann


      Note: It was hard not to feel superfluous during the march last Monday.  That is, superfluous as a photographer.  I'm proud that my body was there, but am not so sure about my camera.  Doesn't everyone have one?  Yet I can't help myself.  Taking photos is the best way I have to experience any event.  Declare it to be dependence or call it commitment, at least I share this plight/joy with other photographers.  In any case, like the quote by Minor White that my friend John has on his emails, "I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice."

No comments:

Post a Comment