Sunday, January 6, 2013

revisiting: a thank you to a neighbor and friend

post #119
      For the kind of witness photography I do, it sure helps to have tolerant, kind and curious neighbors.  Since I usually don't know myself what will catch my eye, I am grateful to be accepted at my neighbors homes and farms at unexpected times as well as by invitation.  For example, the heirloom tomatoes, below, from their garden, were newly picked when I stopped by.  Then those same tomatoes or last year's are canned.  The zucchinis in the garden were the last of the season.  Then the cat walked by.  Behind me, then, the view.
     Today I have singled out my friend Sandy, shown here in the stripping tobacco photo which is part of my "neighbors working" series.  (I am reminded that I have yet to ask her what it feels like to share a name with a superstorm!)
     There are a dozen photos here and I could show more, but the idea today is to share how multiple occasions allow for a more complex photo story that crosses a single genre of image.  Tolerance and kindness are indeed part of the picture.
formerly the honored December activity, stripping tobacco


her cat on patrol


the view toward our woods from Sandy's house


sister, cousins, nieces, nephews, grandchildren, daughter-in-laws, sisters-in-law, at Halloween

the year of the very tall corn in Sandy's garden

zinnias -- which I took for the Appalachia, Bluebird, Creek book that is in draft mode




end of summer zucchinis in Sandy's garden
My neighbors are curious -- to know what I will see next.   

Sandy introduces a chick and a child!

These heirloom tomatoes, on the porch, recently gathered, are one of my photo note cards.
 
garden goodies, canned and ready in the kitchen


      
       This last photo is a favorite of mine, Sandy's home, open to all.  I am grateful, Sandy, for your terrific sense of humor, for your help, for your interest in my work, for teaching me things and for being the caring, thoughtful person that you are.  These words are your surprise for checking out this blog once again -- all the way to the end!  I hope I now get to make more photos in the future....


No comments:

Post a Comment