Sunday, December 8, 2013

Updates: monarch butterfly stations, the local Arts Fair, and frogs changing colors!

post #167
        I had a lot of fun yesterday at the MSU Arts and Crafts Fair, even though I worked hard all day long and didn't make any more money than the usual.  It really keeps me going to have so many repeat visitors with their stories of where an image of mine might be hanging or how they can't bear to part with a favorite card.  Of course, I'd also like them to be out of cards and buying more.  Yet somehow I can't get too worked up about that particular conundrum since I know it is kindly meant and not really a problem at all.
        The following photo from yesterday is thanks to Jennifer Reis, made just before the doors opened at 9 a.m.  I like to think I was hamming it up for some good reason, but probably I was just simply hamming it up...  Her photo just shows my section of our doublewide.  I never had a chance after that to get a good photo of our entire set-up!  I guess that was a  good problem to have had. 
         
 
      Actually, Jennifer also made a photo for her facebook page that shows her side of things....  She is an amazing fabric artist who also makes jewelry, knits winter head bands, and much more.  I'm regularly thankful she is smart and funny as well!  Here is a hint of the some of her items for sale:
       
  
         I have wanted to share my photographer friend Betty Hall's information connected to  her passion for saving the monarch butterfly.  This is the link to her RESOURCES PAGE on her blog. She especially recommends a recent article about monarch stations, hereBravo, Betty, for all you do and share with others, and for the beauty of your garden of native plants.
        I am still in thrall with my few milkweed plants even while they look dead and dry.  I suspect the real action going on is the work of the new seeds, currently covered by snow and ice.  I will continue to follow them for months to come. 
        I did find out from a science teacher who came by yesterday that the simple reason the frog on the milkweed pod is green on top is because he has turned the color of where he is situated.  I should have known that many other creatures besides chameleons use that strategy to protect themselves, but I did not.  I am glad someone I asked could finally tell me.  Whew.  Here is the photo again:


       I can tell I am currently a bit wore out, as they say around here, so I am going to save the printing discussion until next week.  It is an important topic for photographers to think about!  Right now I am going to publish this blog for today, grateful to have the needed electricity to do that despite the chilly, soggy, ice-producing weather.  Warm(!) good wishes to everyone,  Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment