Sunday, October 22, 2017

a wave break....

post #357
     






       True confessions -- I've been away from home a week, visiting friends and family mostly in Massachusetts. I spent several of those days on Cape Cod AND Martha's Vineyard.  This is a trip I have talked about doing for 2 years, and I finally got it together to do it. Today I can't resist celebrating my finally being there by sharing some photos of waves and water!! The weather really was as good as it looks. We mortals can always respond to the serenity of breaking waves and the constancy of the tides under calm skies.  
       The first set of photos above: Lucy Vincent Beach, on MV, open to the public after Columbus Day. It comes with memories for me of my photo workshop on the island in 2004 with Alison Shaw. (We visited her gallery but just missed seeing her. Guess I need to go again....) Lucy Vincent is a very special beach. Thanks, Patty, even though I know you already wanted to go there after Columbus Day anyway...

     The next beach I was able to experience was the one in East Dennis, on the north side of Cape Cod. I arrived just in time for a race with the setting sun.  Again, here's a place rich in memories for me, as is being with Henry and Susan and their family.



an eleventh generation Cape Codder....




        This walk on the beach was such a lovely beginning to great catch-up visit.

        The other beach we went to, the next day, was Nausset Beach, at the outside of the elbow that Cape Cod presents on the map.  The sand was warm enough for bare toes but not so hot as it becomes with summer sun. Susan and I saw a seal also enjoying the waters.



waiting for more waves in the in-coming tide

See the seal???!!




one of several memorial benches, with evidence of rotating sets of liberated feet

       I'm preparing this page during a layover in the Philadelphia Airport, on the way back to Lexington. Wondeful diversion for me. I guess this fits with my recent "beauty in the world" theme. We obviously need to preserve, protect and honor even the ocean whose vastness alone does not guarantee its health and happiness. It doesn't hurt, as part of that effort, to have fun!
       

1 comment: