Sunday, October 1, 2017

scenes from my neck of the woods

post #355
     We're all starting a new month, and, here in northeastern Kentucky, in the Appalachian foothills, we're closer to fall. I continue to share these photos as a way of giving a different perspective on this lovely place than the ones sometimes held up to define us.
      Last week David came with his tractor and fold-down bushhog to do my small field. I'll now feel less hemmed in by broom grass all winter! Thank goodness! I loved it that three days after he worked here, I ran into him in tiny Elliottville, nearby, in his sports car. Even though his car looked so different than his tractor, I loved his versatility. He's kind enough as well to have some patience for my photomaking.

good by sweet grasses and flowers - though I asked that one very small section not be mowed, for the sake of butterflies and seeds for the birds

He even does the steep hillside by the pond. I can never believe it can be done, but to him it's no big deal.




      Before he had arrived, I heard David coming over from the neighbor's fields. I quickly took these two field photos before the iron weed would be gone:



Leaving my side road, I spotted this deer silhouette on the "main road".  Took this through the windshield with a quick grab of the camera since there was no one behind me.  The first deer had already passed by.

  

        The mystery flowers have now been identified -- thank you, Sue Ella. They are sedum, of which there are many varieties. And they are also called "HOUSE LEAKS", since they need the water provided by dripping gutters in addition to regular rain.  Sure enough, Margie's are located under a gutter.

      This last photo is not taken by me, but it is a wonderful tribute to the annual STORY TELLING FESITVAL that is held every end of September.  The location: Cave Run Lake, near Morehead, KY, under a huge tent.  The weather: absolutely perfect both days. These friends: loyal and longtime. Stories: essential for our lives ongoing.


1 comment:

  1. Ironweed and sedum. My sister called her sedum "everlastings". xo

    ReplyDelete