Sunday, November 26, 2017

sharing my camera and its new lens with a photographer friend

post #362
      I am away from home for Thanksgiving, in Denver, where some of my family live. They absolutely love it here. Also a friend, Chris Garris, from near where I live on Mauk Ridge, teaches here at Metropolitan State University of Denver, otherwise known as Metro or MSU Denver.  
       I consider Chris to be a particularly fine photographer, and I was glad we could meet for coffee a few days ago. I brought my new lens with me to ask him about, since I know it's one he uses most often. We had to use the sidewalk "patio" for our visit because he had brought his dog, Cole slaw.  When I went inside to order a hot chocolate (with lots of whipped cream), I asked him to please use my camera if he wanted to. He did! 
      Seeing what someone else saw while looking through the same photo equipment I use was unexpectedly a hoot, mainly because he was seeing in his own way. And that's really what good photography is all about.
       I asked his permission to use several of those photos on my post today. I haven't done any of the editing work he might or might not do, so these are "raw," the real thing. They show the eye of a photographer focusing on the eye of his subject in, at most, 10 minutes. 
















         
          The lens is the first non-zoom one I have used, since I started in photography only 20 years ago after zoom lenses had begun to be more reliable and versatile. It's probably only fair to share a few of the photos I have made this trip when I had occasion to "play" with this new part of my repetoire. I think I will be using this small, light 50mm lens quite a bit from now on!







       The link to more of Chris's photos is here. He likes to travel....just saying.  Chris, thanks so much for being willing to share your eye and your photo skills!
        And here's a reminder about next Saturday's HOLIDAY ARTS MARKET at Morehead State University's Laughlin Hall, 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.  If you mention to me something you liked or didn't like on one of the posts on my blog, I'll be so happy that I'll give a 10% discount on anything you buy from me. I will be located near the main entrance of the gym.
        
        

4 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving and boy all of these are great! I did look at Chris' Flickr page and see what you mean about travel. And the family photos in CO are so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, so glad you had a good session with these photos! Much appreciated. I have changed the wording a little bit to state that Chris made all the photos in such a short time, "at the most 10 minutes."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially enjoyed all the different focus used in the photos of the dog! xo

    ReplyDelete