Sunday, December 3, 2017

most any kind of artist needs alone time

post #363
          I realized this morning that this would be the first day in two weeks when I am entirely alone! For the "happy hermit" I often am, that's a big deal. In any case, I thought I would honor the thought and the reality by gathering up some photos I have taken BECAUSE I was alone. Today I found 10 from just the last 3 months. Since I never want to take all my readers' time, this for me is enough photos for one post. I've now decided to do the other 2017 months two by two, every two weeks, with my Thanksgiving trip and other such fun "out in the world" experiences in between. 
         That's the reality of my life, actually. I'm a very fortunate person to still be doing my photography, to be learning from it all the time, and to be grateful that I enjoy my own company, especially when I am working with my camera. As is often said, a certain amount of time alone is essential for most kinds of creative work.
        I can tell when I'm "in the zone." That's where I call it, anyway. It's esssential. It's not called loneliness; instead it's called working or creativity or pure dumb luck.

Most artists and writers prefer to work alone so they can draw, paint, sculpt, or write from their heart, that place of flow where the unconscious plays freely.  (common statement)

on Martha's Vineyard's Lucy Vinson Beach, alone with the footprints of others and my friend Patty who knows how to leave me alone for a bit in such a place

my mailbox, looking north
 
a later fall day, getting the mail with my iPhone, facing south on Sideway Road



in the woods nearby

framing the fall while stopped on the driveway where I used to live

making art almost by accident with my 50mm lens and some Red Maple leaves

a lone duck on the homestead pond

obvious lone duck approaching the lone oblivious photographer who doesn't then need to risk slipping into the pond with her camera....


up close and personal, my following the foal as he grows and before he is taken as payment for his white mama


Such splendor zones me out even with a few other people around. I want to SEE it with my own eyes and heart, but I also want to share it with others. Therefore I concentrate on doing both experiences. I call this a kind of street photography, trying to capture the unexpected with honesty. I'll post more photos from Colorado next week.
     I even zone out when I do these posts on this blog. Sometimes I think I enjoy making my posts just because it invariably provides zone out time. Well, I also do enjoy just sharing my photos. All the same time, I'm appalled that the EPA and its minions can think we need less access to nature, and that they have no concern for preserving clear water, etc.  Even though I am an artist, I don't want to zone out so much that I forget my outrage and disappointment at the scams currently being hoisted on our nation by short-sighted greed  -- edging out goodness and common sense for the time being, like a stinky fog over the land.


1 comment: