Sunday, October 7, 2018

all in my neighborhood "back yards"

post #400
       After this week's political intensity, it's back to the land, our national anchor. Some of my favorite things to photograph near where I live are the fields when the hay is being cut or after the hay is stored. This year has had a bit of a different weather pattern -- lots of rain -- so the hay is not being cut at the regular twice a year times. SO, today I hunted through my photos to find some images I particularly like, since I won't be making any this year.  I think it's the patterns that intrigue me, especially since the fields around here are rarely flat or square or large. I love the look of them as well as the annual ritual they provide.



I was delighted this photo was used on the reprint of one of Wendell Berry's poetry books. It kind of reminds me of the layout of a poem.....

I was fascinated to see bales as bird perches for wing drying!

two views of a field along Route 504




 haying being done on our small field -- the baling

Every year it's hard for me to pass by these fields and not make a photo.

This is closer to home, and not strictly haying, but it works for what I need done. Thank you, David Holbrook!!

one of the fields I visit on many an evening walk

These are Jean and Gary's horses, on their mowed field. We don't have any color at all yet this year, but it can be quite lovely, like this, later in October.

the view from Jean's house, field recently mowed in honor of the annual memorial ride for Gary

freshly mowed, smells wonderful


 
To end, one favorite photo made during a granddaughter visit years ago -- looking into Gary's barn.

4 comments: