Sunday, October 28, 2018

voting for more humor and "unexpecteds"

post #403
     These are serious times, with serious repercussions from there being too many closed minds, and therefore a serious reminder to remember the artists in the mix! These folks are likely to be used to seeing the unexpected, the unusual, and even the far-fetched. They are either compelled to or can't help from sharing their perspectives, literally and figuratively. I'd wager we all have some artist within, though we may require some encouragement to acknowledge that and treasure it.

     The response to my first humor-focused post a few weeks ago was nice. Thanks for comments via the blog or in person. I do have a few more such photos to share -- though today's truly fall day (finally) also captures me. I'll save that for next week, to extend the season....

     First, a seasonal greeting from some treasured offsprings! Officially they are not in costume, nor wearing masks!! In any case, this photo makes me laugh.



OK, now for some stories:
       First, the day the pileated woodpecker stopped by -- and wouldn't leave. I was on one side of the living room window and he on the other, foraging in a very old apple tree. When the light is right, the window doesn't seem to detract too much from photos. It was just a lucky thing that I noticed his arrival -- I don't usually hang out in the living room. I took one quick photo, thinking he would leave right away, which he didn't do.  I believe my camera happened to be fairly nearby.  It was his only such visit in over 30 years!


        



rat-a-tat-tat


I heard a rustling sound on the ground, and all those little feathers stuck up, briefly! I barely got a shot.




      Another year, it was a downy woodpecker family outside the upstairs bathroom window!  My granddaughter, age 3, and I watched the feeding going on for at least 20 minutes. Again, that happened only once. You had to be there. No way to set up an appointment....





     One last one-time-only bird visit, this time two Northern Flickers, both males, both doing the territorial thing. It was like a ballet. At first I had no idea about what was going on. This all took place on the single old black walnut tree outside the kitchen/dining room -- and again a total surprise, requiring dropping every other thing I might have thought I needed to be doing during that time. I don't have any particular bird watching equipment, so I don't go out looking for birds. However, I'm so grateful they have sometimes come to me.





     I have had a last minute change of plans for tomorrow, so there's not time now to share more "unexpecteds". But I do have two current photos from the weekend, one from here in Kentucky and the other at Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross Station..... ending as I began today with grandchildren adventures, not necessarily because of them but because whatever they're into can be pretty interesting! (I didn't take either photo....)






No comments:

Post a Comment