Sunday, October 4, 2020

marvelous Melva's garden medley, in honor of summer's end, part 1 of 2

post #510                       

        My poet friend Melva sent me a single photo from her garden this week, and I then asked her if she could send some closer-ups...Actually I kind of begged her. I've been to her backyard, so I know her love of making a garden.

    She said that in checking around for these photos, she found more than she thought she would. Another gift from a garden. She grew up on a Kentucky farm, but mainly she gives meaning to the word "grounded". As she says, "the garden is for beauty and nourishment." And, with her, it's for sharing as well, and, in my view, making magic.

 Here's the single photo she sent me at first, of her end of summer garden in her back yard:



Then next is the first half of the 30+ photos, with the brief descriptions Melva provides!

White seashell cosmos, for the novelty:

pink to red yarrow, just for the beauty:

red and yellow Swiss chard, which continues to grow into late fall:

oregano, near the back door, for handy use:

 

last of the onions, with the last turnip behind:

 

green oxheart tomatoes, which may have to be brought in to redden:

lemon balm, for tea:

English thyme, also near the back door. This is one of four varieties I grow:

first, carrot leaves,

 

and then a carrot top:


 

picking the last big pepper  (only small ones remain):   

red zinnias, red/purple Swiss chard, and [yummy] carrots to the left:

purple basil planted between the tomato vines to flavor the tomatoes -- and also for eating:

Japanese eggplant, which grows potted on the back porch because it is the only way I can grow eggplant, keeping it as safe as possible from the attacking insects:

orange marigolds, to avoid garden pests:

Melva, thanks so very much. I believe the marigolds are considered essential workers, like we all rely on, especially during these difficult days. Please let me know if I misspoke about any of the actors in these sweet moments you caught this week. Bravo! I plan to show the rest next week, including your fig and fig tree.

Note: Yesterday I received the absentee ballot I requested in the mail. Now I will vote and then return it soon, signed in two places.  GO TEAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment