Sunday, January 10, 2021

What can I say

post #524

        Such a week, besides COVID, besides the cold weather, besides the sane and saving election in Georgia, and besides the miseries in all parts of the world.  However, currently, we are not hearing all that much about anything except the intense attention to the terrible, harsh reality of the break-in Wednesday at the USA Capitol building.  There are deaths.  There's law breaking with abandon.  There's super-charged racism. A maelstom is in progress, monitored around the world. We will survive, but it will require an enormous amount of work and clearheadedness. 

        SO, I think I will share some photos from trips to other countries, as a reminder that there are places across the globe that look up to us and our democracy. There are other lives affected by our choices instead of just yours or mine. In adddition, we share the same earthly climate, the same pollution, the same pandemic, and the same love and hopes for our children.

 

ENGLAND -- the Cotswolds



waiting for the morning milk delivery

 

very early Sunday morning newspapers delivered but not yet on the shelves of Chipping Camden's small community Coop grocery store


 

 

FRANCE -- Paris


an early start at the Louvre


NOTRE DAME
see Steve's comment about these books....

FRANCE - St. Malo

 

French student group

my good friends Mariko and Christian

COSTA RICO


I hope everywhere good health is possible, and that we are up to the task of working hard to keep our democracy in good working order.  We will always need to keep on learning.

    

4 comments:

  1. I notice in the window of the Abbey Bookshop there’s a small stone friar with a staff in his left hand and what looks like a burrito in his right. Right next to him are Austen, Lovecraft, and The Arabian Nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve--I've made the photo of the bookstore larger and added a suggestion to it, even though it took me 24 hours to get it together to answer you! That day in Paris I didn't have time to hang out in the store, though I did go inside briefly and would love to return.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ann! Your blog is wonderful!

    I often think of you and the day I ran into you at Kroger. So many hours of conversation to be had, but one hates to hold up grocery shopping. It must have been a year at least? We weren’t wearing masks! If only I’d known what was coming, I’d like to think I would have held you up for hours!!! And hugged you at least ten more times!

    Let’s try to connect after vaccines. I need a sense of place and some intelligent conversation.

    Much love and well wishes!

    Cathy Powers Byron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you -- thanks for finding me here. Surely we will be able to visit again before forever. Today is inauguration day and everything feels so much more hopeful.

      Delete