Monday, January 10, 2011

today, just words

post #15
      I have been traveling for several days, visiting friends and family in California. By last night my life caught up with me.  I was a tired puppy.  So I thought I would wait until this morning, Monday, to see if I still felt that what I wanted to do for this week's blog was just write -- since the horrible, scary and predictable Arizona shooting is on my mind.  And tears are in my eyes for our national community.   
      I don't know what all is being said by others.  In fact, I haven't seen a TV in days.  But I want to share this commentary by Michael Yaki, emailed by my friend Joyce, and also Thomas Krugman's column this morning in the New York Times. Sorting this out will take a while.
      I did see the movie "The King's Speech" this weekend.  It now occurs to me that the struggle of a king to overcome his stammer and his anger because his country's survival needed him to do it says something about what each of us could be facing.  Hard work.  Courage.  Steady effort in the face of great odds.  Remembering what leadership means and requires.  The movie also shows the strong role played by early radio broadcasts.  These days we might instead be reaping the results of media excess.
      Yet today I can also share happy news, of an encouraging nature, showing hard work paying off, and courage too.  During the annual awards announcements this morning by the American Library Association, I was thrilled to hear George Ella Lyon's name for the first one announced, the Schneider Family Book Award, picture book section, her The Pirate of Kindergarten, illustrated by Lynne Avril.  (I was able to watch the ALA video cam.)  Bravo, George Ella, and also thanks, ALA, for supporting quality in literature for kids! Stories are who we are and what we can be.
     As I continue to struggle with the psychic and physical wounds from Tuscon, a hats off to public servants, especially those who are trying to make our democracy work by reaching out to all people.  They shouldn't have to risk their lives to do this essential work; harming them is never ever acceptable.  
     Next week, photos again and more words.  I hope you are taking time to listen to your own stories.   Ann
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment