Sunday, January 30, 2011

Welcome to Will! And winters past!

post #18
          I figure any title that includes the word WINTER with the word PAST will get somebody's attention.  Two of my sisters live in northeastern cities, and they are ready to throw in the snowball!
        But first, a follow-up note from two weeks ago -- our new grandson has appeared, and all is well.  However, to refer back to my comment then, about "no small feet," I 'd have to say that even these two new small feet aren't that small....  WELCOME, WILL! 
photo by Will's thrilled dad

   

       Next, I do have a few more winter shots to share -- sort of under the theme that other things happen in the winter besides just snow falling. 
For one thing, chickens still lay eggs!  Thanks, girls!!  I call this image chicken house light (12/09). .............................................................................................................................................................................................................













Old farm implements endure -- one winter after another -- proud to be scenic in the snow.


    Two years ago, a car slipped off the road we call Mauk Ridge, and slid down into a small pond.  Luckily, the driver was able to get out early, unhurt.  This photo was featured in the Ashland Daily Independent, thanks to digital and to our electricity staying on during the storm.  I couldn't have delivered a photo by car.  Well, of course, it was also thanks to John Flavell who is their Chief Photographer.



    Then there are my trips to England, where I have family.  The first photo shows the garden there, in December, two years ago.  Winters can be chilly and damp, but, unlike this year, snow is usually unexpected.

December 2009, east side of the house.  The garden grows!
In December 2009, across the street, west side of the house, trees are dramatic!  Emily Bronte, where are you?



      But the reality is that snow falling has shaped many of our days lately.  I took this photo Thursday morning before ever driving or walking up the quarter mile driveway from our house to the mailbox.
     I am grateful for quiet beauty and for reminders of peaceful possibilities.












January,  2011,  still another way of seeing what I pass almost every day

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog, Ann. Beautiful photos and lovely thoughts. Congratulations on getting it started - and for continuous 5 months blogging! That's discipline and dedication! Thanks for sharing it with me.

    ReplyDelete