Sunday, May 15, 2011

still wet, still May, still me

post #35
     I finally realized that all my recent thinking about what images speak for Appalachia is so interesting to me that I could start a weekly feature: one photo each week -- chosen from ones already shown on this blog or ones already taken or ones to be taken in the future.  Along with the story that is part of the photo.
                                                             
So, here goes!  THIS IS APPALACHIA NOW:
I've chosen this photo to go first because it happens only in Appalachia.  Almost 500 mountaintops gone.  Water sources -- streams, wells -- damaged.  Communities disrupted.  All for profit for a few.  All leading to a price for electricity that does not reflect its true cost.  The story to remember: WE ALL LIVE DOWNSTREAM.  We are all affected by this travesty.
       Next, a few more photos from my recent gathering of the Kentucky Women's Photography Network.   This one by Libby shows the lay of the land, near Frankfort, KY, and how the rich carpet of blue-eyed Marys surrounded us.
This is my close-up of the blue-eyed Marys.  Our timing was spectacular, or was it their timing that was awesome.....
For the record, this is the Kentucky River on the edge of Dobree's land.  It can be no surprise to note that their road and fields are sometimes flooded!
Meanwhile, back on the ridge, this is how the trees work together to show off every shade of spring green.
    

1 comment:

  1. Ann, this is my first visit and thank you for sharing the blog id during our great 50th reunion. I loved the lead in photo - the mountaintop removal. That photo may be more significant than you realize; I have heard about mountaintop removal for years and deplored it in a vague way but I doubt that I have ever seen the evidence as vividly as in your photo. It was great to see you again and I hope it will not be so long before we see each other again. Dick Brown rtiger65@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete