Sunday, January 8, 2012

The privilege of living in Appalachia

post #67
      We've been having some unusual and weird warm January days, but they do beat a snowstorm for providing access to the woods.  Yesterday's late afternoon walk has ended up being my focus for today's post.  After all, with the weeks of essay sections and such that I shared, it has been a long time since I have posted new photos from our place.  
      I planned simply to walk, so wore my boots and, just in case, carried only my Canon Rebel and one lens (70-300 IS), but not a tripod.  However, there was no wind, with clear skies but no direct sun back in the cliff and waterfall area.  Everything was so peaceful.  I couldn't keep myself from making do and making photos.  
      Since I didn't have the lens with me which I would use to make an overview photo, here is an image in another season from an earlier visit, to give the feel of the place:
For location purposes, notice the two large round holes in the cliff, one covered by a tree top.
      What I decided yesterday was to see these falls from a different perspective.  I ended up walking in places where the path doesn't go -- which made me feel like a galumphing destruction machine.  I am a lot larger than your average squirrel or skunk; I left marks in the wet slopes just getting to this new viewing spot and finding places to sit so I could use my elbows as a tripod.  There were tender plants to consider as well.  My logical mind does know nature is resilient given half a chance and, compared to mountaintop removal mining, I know my footprint is not much, but my feeling huge made me feel my damage was huge.  On the other hand, I loved being there in the slippery, decaying leaves, watching the woods at rest and the evening starting its cover, with only the sound of falling water and a pileated woodpecker for company.  
forest floor, where, every spring, wildflowers take over


moss and roots on rock
rocks, roots and rhododendrons


a whale of a rock, looking toward the big cliff and the falls
the two holes near the top of the cliff

how many trees.... (as per my essay last month)
tender greens in January woods!
A last remaining pile of snow, at the foot of the falls.  I was amazed to see it.  Does anyone else also see a sleeping sheep in its form?
whale rock, the snow in back (not looking as good as in the previous photo)
the bit of snow again, not my best photo...sorry...but I hope this cliff view gives the perspective.



On the way back, another unexpected sight -- the moon one night before full
Here I am focusing on the sycamore...
and now focusing on the moon, a minute later, as I try out ways to make a moon photo!

          

1 comment: