Sunday, December 2, 2018

My version of fake news: snow photos from LAST YEAR (the truth)

post #408
        Big news week, big community events, big rains. And a big surprise today. After a walk up and back along Sideway Road, I found what I think is a Barred Owl waiting for me on a tree limb, at the bottom of my driveway. I had stopped to look around, before going up the driveway, and I saw the owl, almost by accident. He or she just looked at me, then looked to one side and then the other. (I figured that was a very owl-ly thing to do.) I was holding two soda cans in my right hand, ones I had found along the way.  We looked at each other long enough for me to think I could maybe get my cell phone out of my pocket and take a photo, using only my left hand. However, realistically, that was not to be. I can't even write my name with my left hand. 
       I hope I have another chance to be with that owl. I felt so honored and amazed. 

       So now a few snow photos, as promised, though it's weird since today was 60 degrees and no rain. (Now that I think of it, maybe the owl was confused by the sudden change of weather and was out doing some reconnaissance.  Whoooo knows....)




Actually, this is just like what my driveway looked like a week ago! For a single 24 hours.

This is my favorite photo in this set. There's a lot going on despite its natural monochrome colors.


This winter, I won't have this car -- it died last week. Long story. Funny in parts. So I'm including this photo in tribute to the 184,000 miles of good service every winter, and the shared adventures.

Meanwhile, at the older house, there is also snow. I think this photo has been used once already on this blog, but I love it. This house is still in the family, and this view is special.  It's in the same time frame as the others; it was taken by my son-in-law, Jeremey.


The community events will have to wait a week to share because I am recovering from the work of getting ready for yesterday's Arts and Crafts Festival at Morehead State Univ. -- and in the evening, a special concert by Morehead's own Cave Run Symphony Orchestra.  It was fantastic. There was a chorus of 130! All from the community. Bravo to everyone.

Here's thoughts to those in Alaska regrouping after an earthquake - and to the children still separated from their families at our southern borders which is against any humanitarian impulse that is supposed to define the values of our nation. The snow falls everywhere, on us all, where it's cold enough, and it creates both beauty and extra work. I like to think it's a blanket that can nourish the soil and our souls, despite the inconvenience it causes.  Here's a snowball to everyone. The truth is that we haven't had such a snow yet in this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment